Sunday, March 13, 2016

Of Hummingbirds and Goals


A Hummingbird, 50x50 cm, acrylics on canvas, completed 11/3/16
General inspiration stock photo, by kayaksailor

It's a present for my dear friend who needed an encouragement and a bunch of good healing energy. She loves humming birds and I just had to paint her one, this one exactly!

Some personal thoughts following this work...
It was a bit of surreal to paint this work right now because it somehow represents almost everything in art that I try to avoid right now - simple, illustrative, kitsch, acrylics.
But!
It has to be a quick, actually very quick work, and I wanted it to be special, just for my friend.
So I made the imprimatur at first with the purples and the light blues that my friend loves and I wanted to be unique with the colors of the bird and the flower.
The painting of the bird and the flower were done without any sketches, just the acrylics right on the canvas. It took no more that two hours to complete.
I know that I could make tons of works like this one and sell it cheap and quick at any art fair, but this one is special and I do not want to make tons of the same, it's just boring to copy one work thousands of times!
On one hand, I do not wish to stay at the comfort zone of cute and kitsch artworks that sells good, I try my best to keep developing and make my own real art.
But on the other hand, when it comes to special presents for dear friends and family, I really want just to make them happy and see a huge smile on their faces when they receive an art present from me.

For example there is a wood box present I've painted with oils for my Dad, it features my parents Hungarian Vizsla Lucky!


Or a wood box I've painted with oils for my Grandma's 89th birthday!


I will keep making cute, kitsch and illustrative art only as presents for my closest friends and family.

See ya with real art real soon!
Gali 



No comments:

Post a Comment